On a daily basis, your teeth experience a loss and gain of vital minerals that keep them healthy and strong (known as demineralization and remineralization, respectively). Several of these core minerals include calcium, phosphate, and fluoride. If too much mineral loss occurs, your teeth can weaken and be more prone to breaking or decay. Fortunately, Maple Park Dental Centre provides its Wichita dental patients with a fluoride treatment process that can boost the enamel layer and protect against tooth breakdown.
Fluoride is a natural mineral found in much of your daily food and water intake, and is one of the most important factors in maintaining tooth health. Overall oral health can also be improved through fluoride treatments. If you have any of the following symptoms, contact Maple Park Dental Centre to discuss your fluoride treatment options:
- Constant dry mouth – Dry mouth is caused by a wide variety of conditions, such as xerostomia, as well as certain medications and treatments. Lack of saliva increases tooth exposure to food particles and acids, which fluoride is able to help neutralize.
- Frequent cavities – If you’re getting cavities on a near-annual basis, increased fluoride levels can be a great way to fight decay.
- Gum sensitivity – This can be a sign of gingivitis, a gum disease where your tooth roots are increasingly exposed to bacteria and other causes of tooth decay.
There are several main ways in which you can boost your fluoride levels:
- Rinses – Those mouthwashes and toothpastes you see in your local supermarket? Most of them contain fluoride, though in lower levels of concentration.
- Topical applications – Dentists have access to fluoride in higher concentration levels which can be applied directly to the teeth in the form of gels, foams, or varnishes. These are either painted on or applied via mouthguard.
- Dental prescription – Fluoride also comes in liquid or tablet form, but these are not available over-the-counter except through prescriptions provided by your dentist.
When dental patients come to Maple Park Dental Centre for fluoride treatments, the only requirement is don’t drink or eat for at least 30 minutes beforehand in order to prime teeth for fluoride absorption. We recommend fluoride treatments in 3, 6, or 12-month intervals, depending on your oral health situation.
Ready to make a fluoride treatment appointment? Contact us today!